Miles Crettien approached AFHny for help developing schematic design documents for a green roof at the 117 year old settlement in the Upper East Side. The Lenox Hill Neighborhood House now provides social services, education, legal services, housing, health food, wellness programs and mental health services as well as early childhood development. The green roof would be a part of the Health Foods and Wellness program which has four target goals:
- Menu Planning
- Community Outreach
- Connecting clients with local farmers.While our main audience for the green roof would be the children in the program age groups 3 to 4 and 5 to 13, the roof would benefit the entire Lenox Hill community. The main goals of the green roof are:
- Provide hands on education/development opportunities for
- Create dynamic space that inspires and transforms the way people look at food.
- Bring together people in a beautiful space that makes them happy.
- Mixed use green space.
- Extensive/intensive green roof and greenhouse.
- Plant nursery and have year round classroom and growing in greenhouse.
We anticipate this project to take about 2 or 3 months to measure and draw the existing conditions, produce schematic design drawings and renderings.
Learn more on the Open Architecture Network >
to the New York Chapter.
by Oscar Niedermeyer
on April 5, 2012
to Vote for “Food Fence” in the GOOD Maker Challenge!!!Hello NY-chapter,
I met some of you in the later part of last year.
I’m happy to report that I became Design Fellow for Football for Hope Congo and I have already been living in Cape Town for 2 months, working here at the local AfH office before I’ll move to Congo in about 2 months.
All the best,
by Jennifer Dunn
on September 1, 2011
to Wine Tasting & Food Pairing FundraiserThere are still a few tickets left to tonight’s Wine Tasting and Food Pairing Fundraiser for Projects at the Moore Brothers Wine Company. The tasting will begin at 6:30PM and will include a brief presentation about the current projects we have running. Tickets are $15.00 and you can pay using Paypal by emailing the address below. Please RSVP as space is limited!
Moore Brothers Wine Company: 33 East 20th Street, 2nd Floor
TO RSVP email firstname.lastname@example.org and receive the link to buy your ticket.
See you there!
by Annie Ledbury
on July 12, 2011
to July Working Meeting : New Project WorkshopStay out of the heat and join us today at 6:30 on the 6th floor of the Van Alen Institute (30 W 22nd St.) for our new projects workshop! Connect with other volunteers, cultivate your humanitarian project ideas, and find out how to plug into grant opportunities to make your designs a reality.